Courgette fritters are a delicious and easy-to-make dish. They are very versatile as they can be served as a main meal or as a snack.
- 3 large courgettes, finely grated
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Finely grate the courgettes using a food processor. Place the grated courgettes in a sieve, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of salt and let sit for 15 minutes. Squeeze handfuls of the grated courgette tightly to remove excess water and return to the food processor.
- Add the chopped red onion, flour, baking soda, eggs, salt, and pepper to the food processor. Mix the ingredients together with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add about 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add one heaping tablespoon of the zucchini mixture at a time, flattening out the tops slightly to make the fritters even. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. If the fritters brown too quickly, reduce the heat. Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt.
- Add feta cheese to the mixture to make it extra delicious.
- To reheat the fritters, microwave them for 2 minutes.
- Use just enough oil to coat the pan. This is a shallow fry, not a deep fry.
- Use a non-stick skillet to prevent sticking.
- Cook the fritters in batches of 5-7 at a time to avoid overcrowding the pan. Add more oil if necessary.
- If baking the fritters, use parchment paper to prevent sticking and spray with olive oil for a crispy texture.